Friday, September 29, 2006

Bloomingdales - Westfield San Francisco Center


Despite the circus-like scene caused by acrobats hanging from the dome in the mall, performance art spectacles, and Gavin Newson schmoozing with Maria Schriver, it was well worth the effort to brave the crowds and hit Bloomingdales' grand opening.

I avoided the new mall altogether and went directly to the Bloomingdales entrance on Mission, but a mob of shoppers and others where there before me. UFCW members picketed against the union breaking policies of the new Bristol Farms in the mall while a high school drum squad banged out a greeting. Inside, shoppers carried their purchases in vinyl Bloomingdales bags, made especially for the occasion, while Grannys vyed for free logo emblazed umbrellas.

The black and white checkerboard floors at the 59th street Bloomingdales have been repeated here, as has the pink beauty bar, but the clean lines of the sales floor remind me of Selfridges. The well stocked shelves and racks held a phenomenal selection of designer wares including Chloe, Dior, Pratetsi, and the best selection of Missoni and Diane Von Furstenburg I've seen in San Francisco. Now if only they go on sale, so I can afford the Missoni sweater I've got my eye on.

845 Market Street
Westfield San Francisco Centre
San Francisco, CA 94103
415.512.6776

No comments: